Thursday, June 16, 2011

Potty Training

Look at these BIG kids!

Emerson's first wedgie- and, yes, I do document EVERYTHING!:)




One of my summer goals was to attempt potty training for Blake and Emerson. Are you ready for TMI?! We started two weeks ago. The first thing I did was head to target to buy some underpants- pink princesses for Emerson, Thomas the Train for Blake, and I couldn't resist a package of boxer briefs! I was going to try the 3 day thing but after one "accident" on the carpet I decided that approach wasn't going to work for me. :) So, instead, we talked all throughout the day about the potty and read books about the potty and what happens there. Poop and pee-pee are the main topics of conversation around the Rhodes household. Then, perfect timing, as we were getting ready for a bath I could tell that Blake was about to go. I quickly reached for him and plopped him on the big potty. He went in the potty for the first time and thought it was hysterical! Since then he has consistently gone 1-3 times a day...yay! He has the same routine each time. He climbs on the big potty, scoots back, looks down to watch, and when he's done he looks up with his mouth opened wide in a huge grin. So stinkin' cute! Emerson applauded him for a few days and then decided she didn't want to miss out. She has started going a few times a day in the last few days. I think we are well on our way! Today was the first time she actually told me that she had to go. I even had them in their underpants with no diaper for a few hours today with no accidents! Of course, we have had some tantrums over not wanting to get off the potty, and we had some tantrums when one got a treat and the other didn't. So, now if one of them goes pee-pee they each get one animal cracker. If they go poo-poo they get a lollipop...this has kept them cheering each other on! It's working so far. They still wear diapers most of the time. I think we'll keep taking the baby steps and when they're able to consistently tell me when they need to go potty then we'll switch to underpants. I usually get sad when they hit milestones, but when we say goodbye to the diapers I definitely will NOT be sad!

No comments: