Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Sweetest Valentines Day Ever!!!!!






























































































Last Thursday, February 12, I went to see my doctor. I was 3 cm dilated. She told me I could go into labor at any time and if I didn't deliver by Tuesday the following week we would talk about inducing. On Friday I entered my 37th week of pregnancy. It was the date I was waiting for because twins are full term at 37 weeks....AMAZING considering some of the initial complications I had. Friday night Jeremy, my mom, and I ate dinner, watched a movie, and went to bed. I told the babies that they could now come at any time since they are full term. I thought it would be fun to deliver on Valentines Day, but I knew it was unlikely. I didn't have any cramping, painful contractions or any other signs of labor. Well... my babies listened, because a little after midnight I woke up in more pain than I had ever felt in my life!!! I woke up Jeremy and my mom and told them we had to leave. My mom wanted me to time my contractions but I knew that the pain could only mean one thing. So, we scrambled around the house to get everything we needed. It seemed to take forever. I believe that my first profanity of the night was when Jeremy was looking for a show the dogs would want to watch while we were gone and my mom was curling her hair. "HELLO, I'M IN LABOR!" The car ride to the hospital was the longest car ride of my life. When we arrived (2:00 a.m.) they hooked me up to a monitor. I was still only 3 cm dilated but my contractions were 2 minutes apart. It took about an hour to get me to a room and the anesthesiologist to come. I would have paid any amount of money for my epidural, and I'm sure Jeremy would have too! My sanity returned almost immediately after the shot. We spent time with our parents, made some phone calls, and even took a little nap. My doctor checked on me frequently and I had an ultrasound. The babies were in perfect position for delivery. I dilated 5cm, then quickly advanced to 9 cm, then we were ready to go at about 10:00 a.m. They took me into the operating room for delivery. With 15 doctors and nurses coaching us, I began pushing. My little man's head was right there and it didn't seem like it would be too long. However, every time I pushed his heart rate would drop dramatically. The doctors quickly made the decision for a c-section delivery. Within minutes they had me prepped. I held Jeremy's hand tightly as we awaited the arrival of our children. I will never forget the moment the doctors told us our son was out. We heard the little cry (10:51 a.m.) and they brought him to us. Tears poured down both of our faces as we saw our son for the first time. There is such a thing as love at first sight! Then, as if that wasn't incredible enough, we were introduced to our daughter at 10:52 a.m. Both of our hearts melted at the sight of our precious little girl. The babies were beautiful and healthy. Blake was 6 lbs and Emerson was 5 lbs 14 ounces. Our family was complete! Jeremy followed them to the nursery and I went into recovery. Overall, it was the most amazing experience of my life!

No comments: